A real collectors item!
Made in Vancouver Canada in the late 70's by Odyssey Guitars. The company ceased production when it's owner, Atilla Balogh, was crushed to death by a heavy machine in his shop in the early 80's. Here is a link to a thread on Talkbass.com about Atilla Balogh basses:
** It is said that finding one of these will bring you good luck **
It's time for me to pass this good luck on to a fellow bassist :-)
Here are some specs:
- Neck-through-body design (no bolt-on neck!).
- Beautiful red sunburst in color
- Fretless fingerboard (hardwood. Originally fretless, not de-fretted).
- 34" scale
- Solid mahogany body, and maple neck.
- Twin Bartollini pickups (p-bass configuration).
- Volume and tone knobs.
- Series parallel switch (converted into a kill switch).
- Original model Bad Ass bridge (brass).
- Grover machine heads (also brass)
When I acquired this bass, It was gutted for parts (no strings, no pickups, and the G string saddle of the Bad Ass bridge was missing). I spent time, money, and love restoring her. Here's what I had to restore:
- I Couldn't find the G string saddle from the original model Band Ass bridge online, so I installed the saddle from a later model Bad Ass bridge which fit perfectly (although it is a different color - the original bridge components are silver, the newer model G string saddle is gold).
- I installed two new model Bartollini p-bass configuration pickups. From my research, this bass probably had 70's Dimarzio model P pickups. These original pickups were wired to run in series parallel if wanted (there is a switch to go back and forth). However, the Bartollini's I installed can't run series parallel, so I had the switch converted into a kill switch
- New strings! I put on unused Thomastik flat-wound jazz electric bass strings! With the fretless and the flat-wound jazz strings, this bass has a very warm almost acoustic bass sound
I'm looking for $1,000, but will entertain all offers!
Case NOT included. Neck strap NOT included. Contact me if you are interested. Will make appointments for viewing and testing of the bass. I am willing to ship the bass if need be, however buyer will have to pay for ALL shipping costs.