Check Out this new promotional video I recorded for my rhythm section masterclass at MusicWorks in Wellington New Zealand! 6pm on Oct 30th.
My new trio album "This Is The Moment" on Gut String Records made it onto the JazzWeek Top 50 radio chart today! It debuts at #47. The album is currently in play on 213 jazz radio programs across the world.
"Bassist Nathan Brown leads a suavely swinging trio with Felix Lemerle/g and Peter Traunmueller/dr through a collection dominated by originals with a few dashes of covers. The team is sublime, with Flemerle showing an allegiance to Kenny Burrell on the subtly bopping “Curley’s Revenge” and snappy “Bird’s Opening” which features the leader bowing like Slam Stewart. Brown shows an ability to dig a deep groove on “Just A Little Lovin’” and the team sounds blissful on the ballad “Cheer Up, Charlie,” and Tranumueller crisply brings everyone to attention on the hip “Don’t Look.” A dream for fans of classy mainstream."
- George W. Harris at Jazz Weekly
I want to officially announce The Nathan Brown Trio "This Is The Moment" New Zealand & Australian Album Release Tour!!! Here is a list of the tour dates:
- Oct 21st – The Queenstown Jazz Festival – Queenstown, New Zealand
- Oct 22nd - The Queenstown Jazz Festival – Queenstown, New Zealand
- Oct 23rd – The Queenstown Jazz Festival – Queenstown, New Zealand
- Oct 28th – Orange Studio – Christchurch, New Zealand
- Oct 29th – Fairfield House – Nelson, New Zealand
- Oct 30th – Rhythm section master class & private lessons at MusicWorks – Wellington, New Zealand
- Oct 31st - Wellington Jazz Cooperative at the Pyramid Club – Wellington, New Zealand
- Nov 1st – Creative Jazz Club – Auckland, New Zealand
- Nov 2nd – Lazybones Lounge – Sydney, Australia
- Nov 3rd – Doo-bop Jazz Club – Brisbane, Australia
- Nov 4th – Jazz Lab – Melbourne, Australia
- Nov 5th – Lebowskis – Melbourne, Australia
- Nov 6th – Creative Original Music Adelaide at the Wheatsheaf Hotel – Adelaide, Australia
I also received my first radio report from my radio promoters today. My first week on the radio and my album charted on JazzWeek's radio chart under most adds! 11 radio stations added us this week. My radio campaign is off to a solid start.
"This is a swingin', fun recording that will have you off your feet doing your happy dance! The originals are very melodic and accessible to a wide audience. The standards are given a fresh sound (Favorite: This is the Moment.) while relentlessly swinging all the way through. This trio has it together! 5 Stars for Mainstream radio!"
John Zimbrick, PhD
Producer and Host
WBAA, Purdue Public Radio
West, Lafayette, IN
"With so much new and timeless instrumental jazz music on hand, the real attraction here is the spirited musical interplay between Brown, Lemerle and Traunmueller. Jazz fans will be in for an excellent sonic surprise with this fine new CD by The Nathan Brown Trio."
Excerpt from my latest album review on Music Wed Express 3000 (or mwe3.com) including an exclusive interview! Check it out.
Nathan Brown Trio "This Is The Moment" will be available through Gut Sting Records September 8th!
Big thanks to Bass Musician Magazine for the shout out!
"Every so often a musician and his ensemble come along and stamp their name on today’s musical landscape. With their new release “This is the Moment” (Release Date: September 8th, 2017), led by bassist Nathan Brown, the trio does just that. Joined on the new release by Felix Lemerle on guitar and Peter Traunmueller on drums, Brown and his comrades show why their musicianship and compositional skills are gaining the attention they deserve."
- Valery Amador, Publisher and News Editor at Bass Musician Maga
"This trio, led by bassist Nathan Brown, demonstrates a commitment to the old values of ‘50s Modern Jazz. The Aesthetic is remarkably well-dialed in."
Nathan Brown "lays down quarter notes as fat as half-dollars"
- Fritz Balwit at Audiophile Audition
Thank you to Midwest Record for writing a review of my upcoming trio album "This Is The Moment"
"NATHAN BROWN TRIO/This is the Moment: A lot of cats seem to be remembering Walter Davis these days, and Brown is no exception, but this bass ace has so much more to offer than nostalgia. With originals that sound comfortingly familiar up his sleeve, the Brown crew knows how to serve it up just right. With cool school bopping leading the way, this is a cat that easily convinces you to stay out late on school nights to dig. Solid jazzbo work throughout, there's that under current running through this that cool rockers can dig it too. Well done."
Volume 40/Number 237
June 26, 2017
CHRIS SPECTOR, Editor and Publisher
Copyright 2017 Midwest Record
The time is finally here! My trio album featuring Felix Lemerle on guitar (https://felixlemerle.bandcamp.com) and Peter Traunmueller on drums (http://www.petertraunmueller.com) is finished. Right now my press agents at Two For The Show Media (https://www.twofortheshowmedia.com) and GROOV Marketing and Consulting (http://www.groovmarketing.com) are working their campaigns. The official release date is September 8th and it will be for sale online at that time through iTunes, Amazon, CDbaby, and dozens of other download and streaming websites. For more information about my album, visit the record labels website (http://gutstringrecords.com).
For your preview pleasure, You may stream two of the tracks from the upcoming album on the Audio page of this website.
On top of that, my trio has just shot video of us performing several tracks from the upcoming album! two of these videos are now up on the Video page of this website.
Here are some new photos from a recent photo shoot near the Bethesda terrace in Central Park.
One more step closer to completion! I finished mastering my trio album earlier this week!!! Featuring Félix Lemerle on guitar and Peter Traunmueller on drums. Scheduled to be released later this year.
Please visit the audio page on my website where you can advance stream select mp3 tracks from the album!
A real collectors item!
Made in Vancouver Canada in the late 70's by Odyssey Guitars. The company ceased production when it's owner, Atilla Balogh, was crushed to death by a heavy machine in his shop in the early 80's. Here is a link to a thread on Talkbass.com about Atilla Balogh basses:
** It is said that finding one of these will bring you good luck **
It's time for me to pass this good luck on to a fellow bassist :-)
Here are some specs:
- Neck-through-body design (no bolt-on neck!).
- Beautiful red sunburst in color
- Fretless fingerboard (hardwood. Originally fretless, not de-fretted).
- 34" scale
- Solid mahogany body, and maple neck.
- Twin Bartollini pickups (p-bass configuration).
- Volume and tone knobs.
- Series parallel switch (converted into a kill switch).
- Original model Bad Ass bridge (brass).
- Grover machine heads (also brass)
When I acquired this bass, It was gutted for parts (no strings, no pickups, and the G string saddle of the Bad Ass bridge was missing). I spent time, money, and love restoring her. Here's what I had to restore:
- I Couldn't find the G string saddle from the original model Band Ass bridge online, so I installed the saddle from a later model Bad Ass bridge which fit perfectly (although it is a different color - the original bridge components are silver, the newer model G string saddle is gold).
- I installed two new model Bartollini p-bass configuration pickups. From my research, this bass probably had 70's Dimarzio model P pickups. These original pickups were wired to run in series parallel if wanted (there is a switch to go back and forth). However, the Bartollini's I installed can't run series parallel, so I had the switch converted into a kill switch
- New strings! I put on unused Thomastik flat-wound jazz electric bass strings! With the fretless and the flat-wound jazz strings, this bass has a very warm almost acoustic bass sound
I'm looking for $1,000, but will entertain all offers!
Case NOT included. Neck strap NOT included. Contact me if you are interested. Will make appointments for viewing and testing of the bass. I am willing to ship the bass if need be, however buyer will have to pay for ALL shipping costs.
My plywood bass is for rent in the greater NYC area!
Ideal for out-of-town bassist coming to town to play a gig or two, or coming to town to hang out for a month or two. This bass has a powerful and punchy sound similar to old Kay and American Standard basses. Ideal for jazz settings. It is in excellent condition!!!
**Daily, weekly, and monthly rental contracts available. Negotiable rates**
Here are some specs:
* Maker: Eberle, Musima Company (Germany) * Approximate Age: 25 years
* Model Shape: Gamba, sloping shoulders
* Overall Height: 73.5" * Upper Bout: 20" * Lower Bout: 27" * C Bout: 15.15"
* Body Height: 43.75" * Rib Depth: U 8.75" L 8.75" * String Length: 41"
* Top Material: Beech-laminate (3-peice ply) * Back Material: Beech veneer
* Rib Material: Beech veneer * Neck material: Beech * Inner & Outer Linings: Beech
* Tuner Type: Nickel, plate
Comes with accessories:
* Full set of Thomastik Spirocore strings
* Goetz style metal endpin with screw-on rubber tip, 10mm X 21
* Realist Copperhead pickup
* Leather bow quiver
* Mooradian Standard gig bag w/ shoulder strap
* ONYX bass wheel (fits in the endpin block)
Contact me via email at: email@example.com
or by phone: (217) 621-0494
I've been so busy performing shows the past year that I have neglected to update my website. Here is what is going on in my life and my music right now:
My New York based trio just recorded a new album last February. I'm accompanied by Felix Lemerle on guitar and Peter Traunmueller on drums. The album will be released through ITI Records some time next year! You can preview selected tracks from the upcoming album on my Audio page as well as check out my previously released album from 2012
I'm also play a variety of new regular shows throughout New York City every week. Vist my Performance page to find out where I'm playing next!
This Saturday (2/28) I will be going out on a small tour with the Solomon Douglas Heptet. We will be playing five shows in five different cities in the midwest and Ontario Canada. Please check out my performance page to see details our performances. It's going to be swingin' !