Here are some new photos from a recent photo shoot near the Bethesda terrace in Central Park.
One more step closer to completion! I finished mastering my trio album earlier this week!!! Featuring Félix Lemerle on guitar and Peter Traunmueller on drums. Scheduled to be released later this year.
Please visit the audio page on my website where you can advance stream select mp3 tracks from the album!
A real collectors item!
Made in Vancouver Canada in the late 70's by Odyssey Guitars. The company ceased production when it's owner, Atilla Balogh, was crushed to death by a heavy machine in his shop in the early 80's. Here is a link to a thread on Talkbass.com about Atilla Balogh basses:
** It is said that finding one of these will bring you good luck **
It's time for me to pass this good luck on to a fellow bassist :-)
Here are some specs:
- Neck-through-body design (no bolt-on neck!).
- Beautiful red sunburst in color
- Fretless fingerboard (hardwood. Originally fretless, not de-fretted).
- 34" scale
- Solid mahogany body, and maple neck.
- Twin Bartollini pickups (p-bass configuration).
- Volume and tone knobs.
- Series parallel switch (converted into a kill switch).
- Original model Bad Ass bridge (brass).
- Grover machine heads (also brass)
When I acquired this bass, It was gutted for parts (no strings, no pickups, and the G string saddle of the Bad Ass bridge was missing). I spent time, money, and love restoring her. Here's what I had to restore:
- I Couldn't find the G string saddle from the original model Band Ass bridge online, so I installed the saddle from a later model Bad Ass bridge which fit perfectly (although it is a different color - the original bridge components are silver, the newer model G string saddle is gold).
- I installed two new model Bartollini p-bass configuration pickups. From my research, this bass probably had 70's Dimarzio model P pickups. These original pickups were wired to run in series parallel if wanted (there is a switch to go back and forth). However, the Bartollini's I installed can't run series parallel, so I had the switch converted into a kill switch
- New strings! I put on unused Thomastik flat-wound jazz electric bass strings! With the fretless and the flat-wound jazz strings, this bass has a very warm almost acoustic bass sound
I'm looking for $1,000, but will entertain all offers!
Case NOT included. Neck strap NOT included. Contact me if you are interested. Will make appointments for viewing and testing of the bass. I am willing to ship the bass if need be, however buyer will have to pay for ALL shipping costs.
My plywood bass is for rent in the greater NYC area!
Ideal for out-of-town bassist coming to town to play a gig or two, or coming to town to hang out for a month or two. This bass has a powerful and punchy sound similar to old Kay and American Standard basses. Ideal for jazz settings. It is in excellent condition!!!
**Daily, weekly, and monthly rental contracts available. Negotiable rates**
Here are some specs:
* Maker: Eberle, Musima Company (Germany) * Approximate Age: 25 years
* Model Shape: Gamba, sloping shoulders
* Overall Height: 73.5" * Upper Bout: 20" * Lower Bout: 27" * C Bout: 15.15"
* Body Height: 43.75" * Rib Depth: U 8.75" L 8.75" * String Length: 41"
* Top Material: Beech-laminate (3-peice ply) * Back Material: Beech veneer
* Rib Material: Beech veneer * Neck material: Beech * Inner & Outer Linings: Beech
* Tuner Type: Nickel, plate
Comes with accessories:
* Full set of Thomastik Spirocore strings
* Goetz style metal endpin with screw-on rubber tip, 10mm X 21
* Realist Copperhead pickup
* Leather bow quiver
* Mooradian Standard gig bag w/ shoulder strap
* ONYX bass wheel (fits in the endpin block)
Contact me via email at: email@example.com
or by phone: (217) 621-0494
I've been so busy performing shows the past year that I have neglected to update my website. Here is what is going on in my life and my music right now:
My New York based trio just recorded a new album last February. I'm accompanied by Felix Lemerle on guitar and Peter Traunmueller on drums. The album will be released through ITI Records some time next year! You can preview selected tracks from the upcoming album on my Audio page as well as check out my previously released album from 2012
I'm also play a variety of new regular shows throughout New York City every week. Vist my Performance page to find out where I'm playing next!
This Saturday (2/28) I will be going out on a small tour with the Solomon Douglas Heptet. We will be playing five shows in five different cities in the midwest and Ontario Canada. Please check out my performance page to see details our performances. It's going to be swingin' !
I'm excited to announce that starting this new year my trio is hosting the Wed late night jam session at Cleopatra's Needle! Every Wed night from 11:30pm until 2:30am. Cleo's is a highlight in NYC's jazz scene and a must-attend jam destination for all aspiring and professional musicians. My trio will play a couple opening numbers and then open the session, inviting fellow jazz musicians up to the stage to play!
If you're looking for a spot to hear a variety of great jazz music on Wed nights, come to Cleo's and hang with us! If you're a musician, don't forget to bring your horn and play a tune or two with us! (if you play rhythm section instruments, drum set, upright bass, piano, and guitar amp will be provided)
2485 North Broadway, New York, NY
Please check out this kickstarter project which I am excited to be a part of! We go into the studio in Jan 2015 to record. Paul has almost reached his goal of $7,000. Please donate anything you can. The deadline is New Years. A good friend of Paul's said he will double any donations made from now till the deadline!
My gig this Thur night (12/11/14) with the legendary clarinetist Sol Yaged is special. This performance is Sol's 93rd birthday celebration!!! If you haven't heard about Sol, he is one of the last artist from the Swing Era (30's) still with us today. Check out these websites to learn more:
Please check out my performance page for more details regarding the location and time!
Just picked up a last minute gig tonight (10/10) at Club Macanudo (26 East 63rd St, New York, NY). 8pm to midnight. I'm posting this gig on my news blog because I don't really know the guys I'm playing with tonight (that and the tardiness of my hiring). Come out and hang if you're so inclined!
As we move into fall, the season is almost over for performing outdoors in the park. If you're in the city, don't miss out on your last chances this year to hear live music in Washington Square Park! Every Tuesday through Fri from noon until 5:30pm I perform with the Ryo Sasaki Trio (middle west side park entrance). Saturday and Sunday I perform in the same location with Ra'sheed Howard and the Jazz Collective from noon until 6pm. Come out, grab some lunch from the NYdosas vegan Indian food cart (best food cart in the whole city!), and sit and listen to live music!
Welcome to my brand new website! A lot of exciting things are happening in the near future (performances and studio recordings) so please check out my performance page and stay tuned for more musical updates!
You my also friend or follow me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/brownbass.music